Zometa is a bisphosphonate that:
- lowers high levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia caused by the tumour).
- relieves pain by preventing or slowing bone complications during surgery or radiation therapy to relieve pain, and prevent bone damage and uncontrolled bone growth associated with bone metastases.
Denosumab (Xgeva) is the first in a new class of drugs that helps to strengthen the bone and prevent fractures.
- Proven to be effective in preventing complications caused by metastases in the bone.
- Reduces the risk of developing cancer-related complications such as fractures and/or bone pain requiring surgery or radiation therapy.
- Proven to also be effective in reducing bone loss and preventing osteoporosis caused by medical castration, as well as reducing the risk of fractures associated with weak bones.