Hormone therapy and unwanted weight gain: Why and what do we do?
Some treatments such as hormone therapy can cause unintentional weight gain. Indeed, a fall of testosterone causes a slowing of the metabolism and if you continue eating as much as you did before the beginning of the treatment, you find yourself quickly with a five or ten kilos extra.
During the treatment, the priority will be to slow down or stop this weight gain. It is not recommended to start dieting without speaking to your doctor as it could be dangerous. It will be necessary, instead, to reduce your energy intake by eating more fruits and vegetables and less fatty and sugary foods. Whenever possible, try to do 30 minutes of adapted physical exercise every day.
It would also be useful to consult a dietician or nutritionist who can take into account your side effects in the diet she will propose to you. This meeting can indeed give the necessary boost when we do not know where to start.
Suggestions for affected men struggling with weight gain
- A maximum of 15–20% of your daily calorie intake should be from fat.
- Instead of frying, steam your vegetables and grill or bake your fish and poultry.
- Eat one to two servings of fish a week.
- Eat fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Use herbs, garlic, onions, and spices instead of butter, salt, or creamy sauces.
- Mix fruit juice with sparkling water as a soft drink
- Reserve pastries, processed foods and salted meats for special occasions
- Reduce to twice a week or eliminate red meats from your diet.
Maintaining muscle mass
To keep energy levels stable and reduce muscle loss, be sure to include a source of protein (fish, poultry, dairy products, nuts, legumes, eggs, or meat) with all meals and snacks.
Maintain a normal body mass index (BMI) of between 20–25. The BMI is calculated by dividing weight (kg) by height (m) squared (BMI = weight/height2).
Finally, take the time to savor each of your meals and read our Diet and treatments section for additional tips.
Join us! Register here or by clicking on the image
Written by PROCURE. © All rights reserved - 2018