Prostate cancer treatment
Treatments can be given to cure cancer or to control or relieve symptoms. You may receive a single treatment or a combination of treatments based on your individual preferences / values and depending on the grade and stage of your cancer (i.e. how far the cancer has spread and how fast it can grow).
This section provides you with information on drugs to treat prostate cancer that are currently approved by Health Canada. As new prostate cancer drugs are approved for use in Canada we will update our information in a timely manner.
Approuved by Health Canada
Drugs used in chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- Docetaxel (Taxotere)
- Cabazitaxel (Jevtana)
- Mitoxantrone (Teva)
- Prednisone ou Prednisolone
- Dichlorure de radium 223 (Xofigo)
Drugs used in hormone therapy
The most common LHRH agonists are:
- Leuprolide (Lupron, Lupron Depot, Eligard)
- Goséréline (Zoladex)
- Buséréline (Suprefact)
- Triptoréline (Trelstar)
The LHRH antagonist is:
- Dégarélix (Firmagon)
The most common types of anti-androgens are:
Second line hormone therapy (new generation)
- Acétate d’abiratérone (Zytiga)
- Apalutamide (Erleada)
- Enzalutamide (Xtandi)
- Darolutamide (soon available)
Drugs to treat bone metastases symptoms
Drugs to treat prostatitis
Drugs to treat enlarged prostate
- Tamsulosine (Flomax)
- Alfuzosine (Xatral)
- Silodosine (Rapaflo)
- Térazosine (Hytrin)
- Doxazosine (Cardura)
Drugs to treat incontinence
- Oxybutynin (Ditropan®) & (Ditropan XL®)*
- Oxybutynin chloride gel (Gelnique®)
- Tolterodine (Detrol LA®) & (Detrol®)*
- Trospium chloride (Trosec®)
- Solifenacin (Vesicare®)
- Darifenacin (Enablex®)
- OnabotulinumtoxinA (Botox®)
- Fesoterodine (Toviaz®)
- Mirabegron (Myrbetriq®)
- Imipramine (Tofranil®)
*Médicaments les plus prescrits
Drugs to treat urinary tract infections
Fluoroquinolone – Quinolone
- Ciprofloxacine (Cipro®) & (Cipro XL®)
- Lévofloxacine (Levaquin®)
- Norfloxacine (Norflox®)
- Ofloxacine (Oflox®)
- TMP-SMX (Septra DS®)
- TMP (Apo-Trimethoprim®)
- Nitrofurantoïne (Macrobid®)
- Nitrofurantoïne (Novo-Furantoin®)
- Amoxicilline-clavulanate de K (Clavulin®)
- Cefadroxil (Duricef®)
- Cefprozil (Cefzil®)
Drugs to treat erectile dysfunction
Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors
Drugs to treat hot flashes
- OEstradiol (EstroGel®)
- (Elleste Solo®)
- Venlafaxine (Effexor®)
- Gabapentine (Neurontin®)
- Medroxy-progestérone (Provera®)
- Megestrol (Megace®)
For more information on medications reimbursed in Quebec, please visit the National Institute of Excellence for Health and Social Services (INESSS) website.
We are here for you
You have questions or concerns? Don’t hesitate. Contact us at 1 855 899-2872 to discuss with one of our nurses specialized in uro-oncology. They are there to listen, support and answer your questions, those of your family or your loved ones. It’s simple and free, like all of our other services.
Also take the time to visit each of our pages on this website, as well as our YouTube channel, in order to get familiar with the disease, our expert lectures and webinars, our section on available resources, the support that is offered to you, our events and ways to get involve to advance the cause.
Pages that might interest you
Want to know more? Just click on one of the links below.
The latest PROCURE news that might interest you
Every week we publish a blog article. Here’s some we chose for you.
- Did you say prostate cancer?
- I want to postpone my treatment… Is that wise?
- I have several treatment options… Which one to choose?
The medical content and editorial team at PROCURE
Our team is composed of urologists, nurses certified in uro-oncology with a deep knowledge of prostate cancer and other diseases related to the genitourinary system. Meet our staff by clicking here.
Sources and references
- Prostate Cancer – Understand the disease and its treatments; Fred Saad, MD, FRCSC and Michael McCormack, MD, FRCSC, 4th et 5th editions
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Prostate Cancer Foundation-PCF.org
- National Cancer Institute-USA
- American Cancer Society
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Prostate Cancer UK
Last medical and editorial review: July 2019
Written by PROCURE. © All rights reserved – 2019